Idle hands are the devil’s plaything

It wouldn’t be a proper summer holiday if I didn’t revisit the blog in some way. I actually tried to give it up a while back, but there are too many thoughts up in the air all the time. I need it more than I thought: a way to liberate myself from some of the anxieties in life – a form of therapy. 

So, today’s trip down memory lane is going through comments I’ve received over the years to my posts. Most of them have been lovely, others have been downright odd. Below are the majority of them with a bit of contextualisation.

____________

 

The first set of comments were in response to a post about hypocritical relations between the head of that school I worked for and the NEU. As you will see below, a parent had asked if other members of staff could corroborate what I had put in the blog – the responses were unanimous in their judgement…

 

21/11/22

I’m a parent of children who’ve been at this school and am sad to read this. It would be very interesting to have other teachers (who have left or who are still in the school) opinions on these posts … I am interested to know whether they agree with Mr Gwinnett? Or not? Having these other thoughts and opinions would help to provide wider context.

 

22/11/22

Hi, I worked at the school during the time in question and have been following this blog with interest. I have to say I absolutely agree with the posts as being 100% accurate as a representation of the atmosphere in the school then. Staff were systematically bullied out of the school using various techniques, with a particular emphasis on causing them psychological harm. I hope it didn't impact upon the children in any way. (Other than obviously the teachers not being at their best.)

 

22/11/22

I also worked at the school during this immeasurably toxic time. To witness colleagues being intimidated, bullied and basically driven to mental breakdowns as well as experiencing such treatment first hand was something I thought I would never have to go through as the school used to be such a wonderful, happy, creative place to work with a wonderful community spirit. It swiftly turned into a cold, corporate and soulless, corporate entity in the times mentioned.
The mass exodus of talented and dedicated staff speaks for itself.

 

22/11/22

This blog makes for uncomfortable reading as it brings back some very unhappy memories of my own experiences at the school. I agree that it is an accurate account of what was happening at the time: the Headteacher's treatment of some staff was brutal and seemed to be beyond accountability. I hope things have improved there now, and I hope that all those staff who were so negatively affected have managed to move on to bigger and better things.

 

24/11/22

I worked at the school for the best part of twenty years. I loved my job until that woman took over. She was always so arrogant and rude. She obviously didn't care about the about children. It was down to her horrible treatment of staff and total lack of nurture for the children that I had to leave. There is no exaggeration in what Alex has written in this blog. And it's disgusting that nothing has ever been done by the governors or the council about this sad state of affairs. Some people just seem to be above any accountability. I left that place totally disillusioned.

 

26/11/22

As someone who taught at the school for several years, I can corroborate what has been said on this blog. I am adding my voice to it because all written complaints of unethical conduct made against the school's management (harassment, victimisation, dishonesty) were never engaged with, let alone investigated. On the contrary, and sickeningly, teachers were disciplined having raised concerns. The council sat on its hands in full knowledge. Without any proper accountability or transparency, is it any surprise that this blog has been written?

 ____________


The following comments were a response to a post I wrote about public interest being made a mockery of in the case of allowing toxic culture to be unchallenged at the school in question.

 

21/01/23

For some "old" teachers / parents / pupils it is easier to move on from that school... I believe nobody, who knew the school when the previous head was in, would now recommend it... at least I don't...

 

21/01/23

Yes, that said individual bully of a head. She was instrumental of a campaign to get me to quit my position of maths lead at a school she was 'supporting'

Arriving into my class, looking at children's books and laughing. Talking over me when I was teaching the children. Inviting me to her school under false pretences and then laying into me with deadlines when she will be visiting me and looking for this, that and the other. Before opening her office door, and walking me out, and signing me out of the school. She is a class act. Small person syndrome and not a leader. I am actively 'celebrating' her as the worst version of a headteacher in any school I have been in since we have had our time together.

 

21/01/23

This is horrible. How do these people even get such positions? Clearly in the public interest!

 ____________


These comments were sympathising with an ex-colleague who suffered from a breakdown under the aforementioned head. The post in question can be found here.

 

15/02/23

Wahoo... I do remember miss Kirsten very well! She was (to me at least) a great person in the school... she knew everyone (children, parents...) always with a big smile and happy to help! She is really missed! I really can't understand why anyone would be so unfair, unkind to her own staff... hope miss Kirsten found a happy place to work in!!!

 

15/02/23

I know all of this to be true. So sad. K was a hard-working, dedicated employee who did not deserve to be treated so badly by the Head, who seemingly had only her own interests at heart.

 ____________


Here's a little exchange with parents (maybe?) after a post about staff retention, or lack of it...


03/10/23

But the school is getting better and better. It’s a wonderful place, nurturing and performing.

 

04/10/23

Nearly a third of the current Year 6 cohort have left over the past couple of years: happy children?

The school took great pride in its extra-curricular activities under the previous head and had far better music provision, links with a national theatrical group, international artists, etc.

The teachers 'don't seem unhappy'? What do you expect? For them to commiserate to parents on the playground and suffer the consequences of a toxic workplace? Teaching staff have been leaving the school in droves for the past few years.

I have to be honest worth you here: either you are spectacularly naive or a plant.

 

04/10/23

The staff are lovely and the kids happy. There’s a new playground and new library. Lots of extra-curricular activities and clubs including school discos and music nights, which the teachers get involved with and don’t seem unhappy! Just writing from a parents’ perspective as what I read here doesn’t compute to what we experience

 

04/11/23

Is this a sarcastic comment? How can a school be a wonderful, performing and nurturing place when so few members of staff stay there? When so many have left because of the toxic atmosphere there - both staff and children? Please enlighten me.

 ____________


Shortly after the fourth anniversary of my first breakdown, I wrote a ‘j’accuse’ style post summarising things. The first response I got was very powerful:

 

14/11/23

I’ve just returned from a psychiatric appointment. This whole event came up. Looking back on it now, I was so scared and weak I should have fought harder about the lies and excuses made. But all this will come back round. The mental gymnastics some people are doing to justify utter disgusting behaviour is sick! I urge the governors to grow a conscience and tell the truth. What you talk about here Alex is only what’s been coming out into the open, but there’s a lot more behind the scenes about the behaviour of these people that does not belong in a school. It’s scary how many people will fall in line with bullying and mistreatment and just stand by pretending they don’t see. I know You read this site, and This will come back round.

 

The above was followed by these peculiar comments, months later, yet on the same date…

 

25/02/23

This is a little unhinged and erring on threatening I feel. The kids LOVE the head, there’s not loads leaving other than normal house moves away etc There’s been so many improvements since the head joined - new library, new play areas, new community initiatives. There’s discos, music night, everyone joins in. Teachers are great. Head is great. Parents are happy!!

 

25/02/23

This is pretty threatening from a teacher at my child’s primary school. It makes you sound a bit unstable tbh. And I know loads of people with children at this school and they’re all really happy, so it’s just not true!

____________


So peculiar, and similar, in fact that I responded with a post on the blog: here which elicited the following comments:

 

03/03/24

That person knows exactly what (s)he's doing. Calling you "unhinged", "unstable" and then implying that you're either delusional or a liar is pretty repulsive behaviour given the circumstances. It's textbook gaslighting and I'd let it slip if I were you, not worth the time nor effort.

 

04/03/24

Alex that comment is laughable, and I agree with above to let it slip it’s not worth it! I live near the school and bump into parents every day, and they don’t have anything positive to say about the school anymore… when I ask how things are they mostly roll their eyes and shake their heads. The ones who have left are glad to have done so.

 

And then this extremely odd (and suspicious) comment:

 

10/03/24

Mate, people are sharing screengrabs of this blog left right and centre at both your old and new school. And not in a positive way! 😐

 

Which in turn prompted this comment:

 

21/03/24

The comment from your 'mate' is no different to the bully attempting to belittle the child in the playground on the basis that, 'nobody likes you'. Accordingly, I sincerely hope its author has nothing to do with education.

____________


The comment below came following a post about a lovely old student had got in touch with me:

 

18/05/24

What a lovely message to have received. Sorry to hear you’re having a rough time. Please remember all the lovely messages you’ve received. People care about you and know that you care about every single child that you’ve ever taught. You have made a positive impact on so many young people. Take care xx

____________


The last comments speak for themselves and meant a great deal:

 

08/10/24

I am so sorry to hear this, Alex. You've been through incredibly challenging times. The decision to move out of London feels like a new chapter. I truly admire your spirit and determination to stand up for what is right. You won't feel it until you are more removed but you've made a difference. Wishing you all the best in your next steps x

 

16/06/25

Nothing will change there… I just can’t understand why some people, good people, are still supporting (and I believe they know what’s going on) the head… very strange.

 

15/09/25

Wishing you the absolute best. Thank you for the blog, it has helped more than you know.

____________

Voilà. I’ve had my midsummer blog fun. Have a lovely one, all.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to pull the plug

AA debacle

40% outstanding...