Saturday, January 21, 2023

Public interest

I apologise in advance but, having had a particularly challenging and frustrating week, I need to offload. I have been involved in some extremely frustrating meetings underlining how unaccountable the establishment can be. None more than my previous head.

For four and a half years, X (previous head teacher) has been bringing unchallenged misery to swathes of the community: local community, staff community and -mind-bogglingly- staff from other schools in their position as school improvement partner.

I think this might the first time I have brought up the school improvement partner aspect. It is an absolute travesty that this person (who were they to be scrutinised properly would reveal such a despicable track record) has been allowed to take up such a position and bring their deeply lacking pedagogical insight to bear on other senior leaders. I have heard from colleagues from a number of these schools complain about their lack of constructive criticism and rudeness. I have been unable to find official information about this online, but it would appear that this is a paid position. What is more, I assume that it comes from the local borough’s pocket. The very local borough I work for and have complained to about this person’s deplorable behaviour. Collusion? Incompetence? Not caring?

Interestingly, this morning, I found this tucked away on the borough’s website - this lovely little testimonial from X: 

The service received from the (…) comms team has been hugely professional and supportive at a time when the school was subject to false allegations with the potential to cause significant reputational damage to our community. They worked closely with us to negotiate an extremely stressful and time-pressured period and were very generous with their advice and knowledge. They were calm, knowledgeable and reassuring, and provided much-appreciated direction through the entire situation.

I have sent an e-mail to said comms department and will be looking forward to a response.

This all brings me nicely to the question of public interest. I know I have mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. The whistleblowing case that my colleagues, parents and governors wanted to be investigated because it was deemed not to be in the public interest. This is not the case. Both Protect (a respected whistleblowing charity), and my union agree with us.

Here are just some of the reasons why it most assuredly is in the public interest:

o   There has been a lack of duty of care from the head, governing body and local council meaning that mental well-being of staff has plummeted. At least five people have left the school with mental health issues. I have written at length about my nervous breakdown and PTSD. I have just finished my third course of counselling. The trauma has meant that my anti-depressant medication was tripled. Since November 2019, I struggle in large gatherings. As for my 4 other colleagues, it is not my place to elaborate on their experience, but you can take my word for it that their traumas have taken their toll too.

o   Basic workers’ rights were disrespected (I could and will at some stage write a full post about this), and union-bashing was rife (members were approached to share contents of meetings, reps were victimised while other members were groomed to replace them). 

o   There has been a huge staff turnover – a lot of extremely talented people left the school (teaching and administrative staff) left and were often replaced with far more inexperienced people. This has meant that -inevitably- the school has become less effective and strongly built-up links with the community have been irrevocably damaged. 

o   Children have increasingly been leaving the school (and not because they have been moving but because parents and children themselves have seen a decline in standards and are aware of the toxic culture that pervades. From what I hear, there is no longer a waiting list at the school. What is more, since the 2022-2023 academic year began, at least five children have come to my new school from my previous one because of parents’/children’s unhappiness. How many more have left to other schools? 

o   There is growing evidence of a disgruntled community sharing their experience with the wider community at large. The school’s image has been tainted by the current head. How much longer can this go on unchallenged?

Does this constitute public interest? I will let you decide and would be grateful if you could leave a comment about it. I would genuinely be interested to hear other people’s views and experiences.



4 comments:

  1. For some "old" teachers / parents / pupils it is easier to move on from that school... I believe nobody, who knew the school when the previous head was in, would now recommend it... at least I don't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that said individual bully of a head. She was instrumental of a campaign to get me to quit my position of maths lead at a school she was 'supporting'

    Arriving into my class, looking at children's books and laughing. Talking over me when I was teaching the children. Inviting me to her school under false pretences and then laying into me with deadlines when she will be visiting me and looking for this, that and the other. Before opening her office door and walking me out and signing me out of the school. She is a class act. Small person syndrome and not a leader. I am actively 'celebrating' her as the worst version of a headteacher in any school I have been in since we have had our time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that is horrible and yet all too familiar. When did this happen? Please reach out if you would like to go into this more. I'd be more than happy for you to write a guest post on the blog.

      Delete
  3. This us horrible. How do these people even get such positions? Clearly in the public interest! Alf

    ReplyDelete

"There is a crack, a crack in everything... That's how the light gets in."

These past few days have been particularly difficult for me from a mental health point of view. I won't go into any detail but I have ha...