Saturday, May 11, 2024

There is a light that never goes out...

Sometimes, you have a really testing week at school. You work flat out and yet fail to keep on top of things. External circumstances act against you. You have to deal with incessant behaviour issues. You then have to deal with the fallout. 

And then: bam - it hits you: you begin to feel a failure. You begin to think: what’s the point? You doubt yourself. You feel burnt out.

You feel desperately alone. And it eats into your home life.

And just when you’re feeling at your lowest, an ex-colleague gets in touch with you and casts a ray of sunshine on things. This is what I received one evening this week:

“I've met a couple of parents of children that you taught at [your previous school] and they absolutely love you, they said their children's school experience was extra special thanks to you! My most recent was this weekend, I went on rugby tour with my daughter and her team mate (…) and parents said, “Do you know Mr G? He’s amazing!”

I just think what a credit to you and all you've done in your time there, even though it didn't end well.... you have a lot of families whose hearts you've touched and a lot of children who will never forget you for the big difference you've made to their schooling experience!

Your name is the talk of top teachers, I felt so proud saying I know you.Keep being the amazing Mr G that makes the children believe in themselves and strive for more. xxx”

Apologies for the exhibitionism. Apologies for the neediness. 

But I was so grateful and was actually moved to tears.

It made me remember why I do what I do, and who I do it for.

I'm not claiming to be the best teacher in the world. But I love my job and I am good at what I do. For every trial there are many more wonderful and fulfilling experiences. 

Thank you kind children, parents and, especially in this instance, to the kind friend who reached out to me when I needed it the most. 

Mr G!

xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

News

I have not written on the blog for a while. I have been off work for a few months now and now is not the right time to be going into that as...