Monday, March 27, 2023

Here we go again...

It’s been a while since I have written about the usual themes of this blog. My father’s death gave way to an extended wave of self-reflection and processing

There is still plenty of processing to do, but other concerns have come to the surface again.

Last night, I was categorising the basic negative milestones of the past five years:

1)    toxic culture established at my previous school,

2)    victimisation for standing up to a sociopathic head,

3)    nervous breakdown,

4)    pandemic and ensuing lockdown (hardly alone there!)

5)    whistleblowing (turned down),

6)    dodgy allegation,

7)    further whistleblowing (again turned down),

8)    proposed academisation of my current school,

9)    ongoing whistleblowing (still to be taken up),

 The never-ending whistleblowing...

On numerous occasions, friends have told me that all of this happened so long ago now, would it not be time to let go? Well, yes and no.

On the one hand, I have been through so much pain and spent so much energy on this nightmare. There have been some minor victories along the way: an article, an investigation by the ICO, so many testimonies sent to me, the continued support of several organisations. But these have been ignored by my previous school, its board of governors and the council. Still the offending head prevails with little to no accountability, seemingly fully backed by both agencies.

However, on the other hand, the pattern of toxicity and victimisation continues at my previous school. More people are still going through the pain I did.

Last year, a colleague was victimised and ended up leaving their (different) school – a school that ‘benefited’ from my previous head’s skills as a school improvement officer (see Interview 21.01.22)…

What is more, two young colleagues have left/are leaving the head’s school halfway through the academic year, both thoroughly miserable at their experience there.

Moreover, at least three other members of staff have been on prolonged sick leave, yet to return. I do not know the full details, but it does not look great.

“Something is rotten in the state of…” It has been for the best part of five years.

I have not given up on looking for accountability.

I will let you know when I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

There is a light that never goes out...

Sometimes, you have a really testing week at school. You work flat out and yet fail to keep on top of things. External circumstances act aga...