Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Three years

Three years ago, virtually to the day (05/11/19), I had my horrific nervous breakdown.

Since then, my life has changed in many ways. 

Initially very unpleasant. I was quite ill for a long time preceding the breakdown but far worse, and for far longer subsequently. 

I am still dealing with PTSD.

But I have been healing thanks to my family, friends, and current school.

The ethos of my current school is very much based on nurture. Its headteacher is loved by children, parents, and last but not least: its staff.

She cares deeply about all of us. She knows we care deeply about the children, and (I hope) her.

She trusts us. We trust her.

She lets us take risks.

She is an inspiration.

Unlike a certain other person…

Recently, my PTSD reared its ugly head unexpectedly and sent me on a downward spiral. It happens. 

I will never be able to forgive the person who caused this but this time I have taken concrete steps: I have talked it through with my GP, I am having blood tests, and I am beginning a new wave of counselling.

I have yet to receive any official acknowledgement of wrongdoing on the part of my previous head, or to elicit any action from her school’s Board of Education or Council. And while it may never happen; it will not stop me from trying.

I feel vindicated by the support I am getting for this blog: from parents and colleagues from both my current and previous schools, and further afield.

Just yesterday, I received this lovely message: “I have been meaning to say how moved and outraged I was by your blog all about your treatment at your last school, a dreadful situation (…). I thought it very brave to speak out online and am I'm sure I speak for many parents and kids when I say thank goodness you're out of there and that [the school] snapped you up!

To all those who have been supporting me:



No comments:

Post a Comment

There is a light that never goes out...

Sometimes, you have a really testing week at school. You work flat out and yet fail to keep on top of things. External circumstances act aga...