Sunday, April 24, 2022

Whistleblowing in the wind...

Today is a struggle. I have had issues with anxiety most of my life. I cannot and am not attributing this struggle to one single person. However, one single person made it a lot worse.

Whilst working for her my dosage of antidepressants was trebled. And then, as I may have mentioned before (sorry), I had the nervous breakdown. I have suffered from PTSD since the episode and had two sessions of counselling. I am about to start my third.

Whilst I am definitely healing, I still have the odd panic attack and/or down days - like this weekend.

It’s the total lack of accountability. It’s the closing of ranks (leadership team, board of governors, council). It’s the unfairness. It’s the huge amount of energy spent on trying to get justice. It’s the slurs and slander.

In June 2021, nearly a year after I left, and after many weeks of preparation, I informed the head of the board of governors that a large group of us were ready to officially blow the whistle. The reason for the delay was that there was a fear that friends who were still at the school may face reprisals. Our message was acknowledged. Then nothing. For weeks.

It was only after chasing and contacting the Council several times that I was informed that the governing body had handed over duties to the Council as they deemed they were being criticised. We were never informed directly of this decision. The Council then surprisingly requested a list of all those who intended to bear witness in the whistleblowing. Surprising may not be strong enough a word considering the Council were representing the school. Unethical, ill thought out, unprofessional are probably more fitting. Particularly as certain participants wanted to remain anonymous.

This all paled into insignificance when I was called into the office of my current (and beloved) head at the end of June. She was put in the awkward position of having to tell me that I could not lead -or even go to- our Year 6 residential trip. An allegation had been made by a pupil I had taught at my previous school a fair few years back. Thankfully, this allegation was judged to be unsubstantiated but I was only informed over 10 weeks later, when such cases are supposed to be dealt with within 2 weeks. The whole thing spoilt the end of a very successful year at my current school and cast a shadow over my family’s summer despite knowing I had done nothing wrong.

Could the timing of such an allegation have just been a horrible coincidence? There is a broad consensus amongst respected ex and current colleagues, not to mention family and friends that this is highly doubtful. Just because you’re paranoid… I even put forth this question to the council. They have yet to get back to me. The person who dealt with the case could not be contacted throughout the summer and now has apparently left their position. How very convenient...

In September 2021, I was finally given the details of the mediator who was to oversee the whistleblowing and called them, they said they had been expecting my call for weeks. They looked into the case and eventually concluded that such a case was not in the public interest. Five breakdowns, over 30 staff gone, toxic culture, etc. Not in the public interest.

But I will not give up  

In the meantime, I have been for a run. My children are bouncing on a trampoline in the sun at their grandparents. I’m lying in the garden listening to lovely music. And feel a lot better. So it isn’t all bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"There is a crack, a crack in everything... That's how the light gets in."

These past few days have been particularly difficult for me from a mental health point of view. I won't go into any detail but I have ha...